Sunday, June 1, 2008

One month later!

Well...here it is, June 1. Over one month since my last post!

One week to graduation. It has been really weird this last month, not having school two nights per week. All this free time!! It's really helped my practice, having all this free time.

I'm in the process of deciding what I'll be doing with all this free time. Some options include:
a) Teach one night per week as a professor, as my faculty advisor recommends b) Enroll in a PhD program (I'm doing the research now) c) Help my advisor write a textbook d) Slack off for the summer and go on vacation (except for two weeks in July when I'm at Cornell for an executive leadership program).

I'm trying to put together a Mediterranean cruise in August to Greece, Turkey and Croatia. Unfortunately, I'm meeting resistance from my friends who don't want to travel that far-they're getting old!
Anyone want to go?!

My Bikram practice has been going well. Good days and bad days, of course, but I can feel the improvement in myself. Lock that f****n knee! The healthiest addiction one can experience.

I've been seriously considering teacher training (just not sure if I'd be able to get the time off) as the first step to opening a studio. There's an outstanding blog on teacher training that I've been reading the last couple of months:

http://yogabootcamp.blogspot.com/

This blog, by Jenn from Seattle, gives an incredible inside look at teacher training. I've gotten a big kick out of her accounts of the program.

A friend of mine was a guest instructor for teacher training-she said it was incredible. She was also mentioned in one of Jenn's blogs. Jenn's opinion was the same as mine for Terri- an awesome, high energy instructor!!

Signing off...next time we speak I' ll have graduated!
Joe

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Joe,
Another reader of my blog sent me to yours. You are too sweet and kind to mention my blog :)

Go to training - you simply cannot open a studio unless you do. Period. In addition, you have to teach for 6 months (75 classes) before you qualify. If you're on track for that, you can begin the process at 3 months since it takes about 3 months to open the doors. Further, you should call too - there is now a franchaise management company in place, brand new in May. This means there is now a franchaise fee ($25K) and very specific, non-negotiable requirements for the space (3000 sq. ft. minimum, showers...in the past, these were more lenient depending on the location). Just call and get the ball rolling.

That all said, you really should go to training and completely focus on that first and foremost. Everyone told me this too and they were right; my plan to open a studio went by the wayside in deference to being 100% engaged in training; and now home, I'm finding that really, my focus is on teaching - not on a studio. It's like your practice...you can't kick out until you lock the knee :)

If you want to talk more, feel free to drop me a line via my blog with your email address!
Jenn