Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Bikram Yoga

I’m sitting in my computer class studying the blogs we’ve created in class.


I’ve just realized that I keep mentioning Bikram Yoga in my posts but have never explained exactly what Bikram Yoga is!


Bikram Yoga is a 90 minute yoga class performed in a room heated to approximately 105 degrees. Twenty six postures and two breathing exercises(each one performed twice). When I first tried it I thought it was extremely difficult and painful (I still feel that way sometimes!). I was told by a friend that it can be incredibly addictive. After my first class I told my friend that he was crazy-who could get addicted to that torture? Twisted into various pretzel shapes, completely drenched in sweat, who could enjoy that? Well, now I understand and even revel in the addiction.


I have learned so much in these classes. My type A personality has certainly mellowed out a bit. I can leave class, drive home, get cut off by a crazed driver on rt. 128, and just shake my head and smile-no swearing, hand gestures, horns, etc. It has helped so much with my stress levels. Physically, I have also changed-20 less pounds, three inches off my waist, no more back or knee pain-it’s almost miraculous!


January has been an interesting month for practicing this form of yoga. The New Years resolution crowd has filled each class to almost overflowing. It really bothered me during my first few classes in January-the humidity almost overpowered me. I realized, though, that I had no control over that. During the next few classes I tried to embrace the humidity and use it in my practice-it actually worked! I was able to improve my focus and my breathing.


My studio currently has a 30 day challenge going on. This involves attending class for 30 days straight. I can’t do that now with my school schedule, but will do it once I graduate in June.


That’s all for now…Good night!

No comments: